Sainsbury's School Games
What is the Sainsbury's School Games?
The Sainsbury's School Games is a unique opportunity to motivate and inspire millions of young people across the country to take part in more competitive school sport. The Games were designed to build on the magic of London 2012 to enable every school, and child, to participate in competitive sport, including meaningful opportunities for disabled youngsters. There are four levels of competition:
• Intra-school (Level 1) - For many young people sporting competition is the first experienced through intra-school competitons. This level of competition will build on a school’s existing work to offer pupils a year-round programme of regular intra-school competition in a number of sports.
• Inter-school (Level 2) - Inter-school competition is for years 3 to 6. At this stage individuals and teams will be selected to represent their school at inter-school competitions. Schools will have the flexibility to decide which sports to enter but are encouraged to involve as many pupils as possible by creating breadth in the sports they offer and depth through the creation of additional teams.
• Sainsbury's School Games Festivals (Level 3) – Each county will host a multi-sport showcase event as a culmination of the year-round inter-school competition. Teams and individuals competing at inter-school level will win the opportunity to compete in this event. Pupils succeeding at this level will be encouraged to develop their enjoyment and talent in sport through existing National Governing Bodies' club and talent pathways.
• Sainsbury's School Games (Level 4) - This is a national multi-sport event, in which the country’s most talented athletes of school age complete if selected by a National Governing Body. This event will take place in high quality venues amongst a unique and vibrant atmosphere and supports athletes development; acting as a stepping stone to further national and international competition.
We are really pleased to announce that Malvin's Close Primary Academy has been awarded the Gold Award for PE and sports provision from the 'Sainsbury's School Games' initiative for the second year running!
It is awarded after assessment has been made using a number of factors to judge the provision made for PE within school. These are some of the criteria that are included in the assessment:
- The quantity of high-quality PE lessons our children receive each week;
- The amount of children participating in extra-curricular sporting activity each week;
- The support we provide for our talented young sports people and less active children;
- The number of competitive events we take part in each year.
By receiving the Gold award, it really does put us among the top schools in the country for the opportunities we provide in PE. We are very proud of this award and hope it can be used as a springboard to develop our PE teaching even more!
If you have any questions about this, or you feel that you may be able to contribute to PE as part of supporting an extra-curricular club, then please contact Mr Clark.